School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences
North Mall Campus
University College Cork
Tel: +353 (0)86 3765234
Professor Cabot was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA and educated at Dartington Hall School, Devon, England. He attended University College, Oxford (1957-58) and completed his BA and MA at Trinity College, Dublin (1959-63). Following this, he completed his PhD at University College, Galway (1963-67).
2005-current: Writer, lecturer and ornithological researcher
1995-2004: Consultant to Ministries of Environment, Eastern Europe
1990-1994: Special advisor on environmental affairs to two Taoisigh
1988-1990: Ecological Consultant, Documentary Film Producer and Radio/TV Presenter (RTE/BBC)
1969-1988: Ecologist preparing the National Heritage Inventory and Environmental Impact Assessments at the National Institute for Physical Planning and Construction Research, Dublin
Population dynamics of Barnacle Geese, Cormorants, and Fulmars.
- Cordes, L.S., Hedworth, H., Cabot, D., M. and Thompson, P.M. (2015) Parallel declines in survival of adult Northern Fulmars Fulmaris glacialis at colonies in Scotland and Ireland. Ibis 157: 631-636.
- Murray, T and Cabot, D. (2015) The Breeding Status of the Great Cormorant Phalacrocorax carbo in County Wexford. Irish Naturalists’ Journal, 34 (2): 89-94.
- Kölzsch, A; Bauer, S; de Boer, R; Griffin, L; Cabot, D.; Exo, K-M; van der Jeugd, H. P; and Nolet, B. A. (2015) Forecasting spring from afar? Timing of migration and predictability of phenology along different migration routes of an avian herbivore. Journal of Animal Ecology, 84: 272-283.
- Cabot, D and Nesbit, I. Terns. HarperCollins, London. pp. 1- 461.
- Cabot, D. Wildfowl. HarperCollins, London. pp. 1-460.
- Cabot, D. Ireland: A Natural History. Collins, London. pp 1-512.
- Ogilvie, M.A., Boertmann, , Cabot, D., Merne, O., Percival, S and Sigusson, A. Barnacle goose Branta leucopsis: Greenland. In: Madsen, J., Cracknell, G., & Fox, A.D. (eds). Goose Populations in the Western Palearctic. A Review of Status and Distribution. Wetlands International Publication No. 48, Wageningen, The Netherlands. National Environmental Research Institute, Ronde, Denmark. pp 246 – 256.
- Cabot, D. (1996) Performance of the Roseate tern Population Breeding in North-West Europe – Ireland, Britain and France – 1960-94. Proceedings Royal Irish Academy: 96B: 55-68
- Cabot, D., and West, B. (1961) Studies on the Population of Barnacle Geese Branta leucopsis Wintering on the Inishkea Islands, Co. Mayo. 1: Population dynamics 1983: 318-336.
- Cabot, D. (1977) Movements and Migrations of the Mallard in Ireland. Irish Birds 1: 37-45.
- West, B., Cabot, D., and Greer-Walker, M. (1975) The food of the Cormorant, Phalacrocorax carbo, at some breeding colonies in Ireland. Proceedings Royal Irish Academy 75B: 285 – 305.
- Cabot, D. (1975) Feather Lice (Mallophaga) collected from birds in Galway Bay, Co. Galway. Irish Naturalists Journal 18: 145-150.
- Cabot, D. And West, B. (1973) Population Dynamics of Barnacle Geese, Branta leucopsis, in Ireland. Proceedings Royal Irish Academy 73B: 416 – 443.
- Cabot, D. (1969) Helminth Parasites from Charadriiform Birds at Galway Bay, Co. Galway. Proceedings Royal Irish Academy 68B: 149-159.
- Cabot, D. (1965) The Status and Distribution of the Chough Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax (L.) in Ireland 1960-65. Irish Naturalists’ Journal 15: 95-100.
- Cabot, D. Barnacle Geese in Ireland. Wildfowl Trust 14th Annual Report 1961-1962. 104-106.
- University of Aberdeen (Fulmars)
- Queens University Belfast (Barnacle Geese)
- University College Dublin (Barnacle Geese) – on going
- National Parks and Wildlife Service (Barnacle Geese) – on going
- Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust (Barnacle Geese – satellite tracking)
Seeking suitable students to eventually take over the long term monitoring and ringing/recapture programmes for fulmars and cormorants on Little Saltee Island, Co. Wexford.